The Cumberland University Music Program offers music education to all students wishing to take private lessons, music courses, or to participate in one or more of our instrumental and choral ensembles. Students can choose to earn Associate or Baccalaureate degrees in General Music, Music Performance, or Music Education.
Meet Our Faculty
Performance scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the ensemble director or program director based on academic performance, performance success, and future potential. Fine Arts Scholarships support several areas of fine arts including band, chorus, art, and theatre.
The Cumberland University Concert Band is the main instrumental music ensemble in the music program. This group performs traditional concert band and small ensemble literature.
The Cumberland University Jazz Band is a combination of both big band and combo ensembles. Admission into the CU Jazz Band is by audition only. This ensemble is the premier instrumental performing group at Cumberland.
The Cumberland University Phoenix Marching Band is a contemporary style college marching band open to all CU students. If you’re a transfer student, current CU student, or incoming freshman, and have a strong desire to be part of an energized college marching band we invite you to audition.
FALL SEMESTER 2023
- October 26-29 Five Women Wearing the Same Dress Heydel 7:00 PM, Matinee 2:00 PM
- Friday, November 3 Voice Class II Heydel 12:00 PM
- Friday, November 10 Student Recital II Heydel 12:00 PM
- Tuesday, November 14 Concert Band/Jazz Band Heydel 7:00 PM
- Thursday, November 16 Musical Theatre Cabaret Alumni Hall 7:00 PM
- Friday, December 1 University Singers/Cumberland Chorale Baird Chapel, 7:00 PM
SPRING SEMESTER 2024
- January 26-28 Putnam County Spelling Bee Auditions Heydel (Times TBA)
- Friday, February 2 Vocal/Instrumental Competition Heydel 12:00-2:00 PM
- Friday, February 9 Voice Class I Heydel 12:00 PM
- Friday, February 16 Student Recital I Heydel 12:00 PM
- March 21-24 Putnam County Spelling Bee Heydel 7:00 PM; Matinee 2:00 PM
- Friday, March 22 Voice Class II Heydel 12:00 PM
- Saturday, April 6/7 Arts Extravaganza Capitol Theatre 7:00 PM/2:00 PM
- Friday, April 12 Student Recital II Heydel 12:00 PM
- Saturday, April 13 Wary Ann Waters/Mae Jenkins Recital Heydel 2:00 PM
- Saturday, April 13 Takiah Ledo Senior Rectal Heydel 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, April 16 Concert Band/Jazz Band Heydel, 7:00 PM
- Friday, April 26 University Singers/Cumberland Chorale Baird, 7:00 PM
Contact us. We’re here to help.
If you have any questions about our music programs or need any help through your next steps, please don’t hesitate to reach out to John Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org or Band Director, Wayne Ray at email@example.com. We’re here to help guide you through this process and discuss your future at Cumberland University.
The Admissions Office is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm CST. Please contact the Admissions Office at 615-547-1246 locally or 800-467-0562 to speak with our Enrollment Specialist or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is new at CURead More
Wilson County Community Takes Care of International Students
In a heartwarming demonstration of unity and generosity, the Wilson County community came together to ensure that international students at Cumberland University experienced the warmth and love of Thanksgiving, even if they couldn’t be with
Cumberland University Welcomes Three New Members to its Board of Trust
Pictured from left to right: Dr. Teresa Chasteen-Dunn, Patricia Hunt, Cecelia Moore Cumberland University is proud to announce the addition of three distinguished leaders to its esteemed Board of Trust. Dr. Teresa Chasteen-Dunn, President &
A Global Campus: Cumberland University’s Commitment to International Education
The Department of Education named November 13-17 International Education Week with the theme “International Education is the Future.” This pivotal week is multi-faceted in its purpose and its benefits. Miguel Cardona, U.S. Secretary of Education,