What is Tennessee Reconnect?
Tennessee Reconnect is an initiative to help make it easier for you to go back to school. With this grant, you can gain new knowledge and skills to help you advance in the workplace and earn an associate degree. Tennessee Reconnect is part of Tennessee’s Drive to 55 challenge to have 55% of all Tennesseans hold a college degree or certificate by 2025. This means you have the opportunity to earn your two-year associate degree tuition-free at Cumberland University.
What Our Students Are Saying
“The TN Reconnect grant opens doors for independent individuals who desire an education, but need help with the financing. The free tuition supports online and in-person classes, which helped determine what best suited my needs. The program offered me flexibility, even if my family life shifts.”
-Shonda Lynn Frizzell, student earning Associate of Arts in Business Administration
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for Tennessee Reconnect you must:
Not already have an associate or bachelor's degree
Have been a Tennessee resident for at least one year before the date you apply for the grant
Complete the FAFSA form and be deemed an "independent student"
Be admitted to an eligible institution and enroll in a degree or certificate program at least part-time (six semester hours) beginning with the 2018-2019 year
Participate in an advising program approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission
What associate degrees are offered at CU?
Cumberland University offers multiple degrees to place you on the path to launch your career. You’ll receive hands-on guidance from advisors and our experienced professors throughout your academic journey to ensure you’re ready to rise to meet what lies ahead.
All general education core courses are offered online with the option to complete any associate degree with a combination of on-ground and online classes.
Associate of Arts (available online)
Associate of Arts in Business (available online)
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete the Tennessee Reconnect Grant application
- Create a login on the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) portal here:
- Once you have created an account, Select “Apply for Scholarships” on the TSAC portal, and then choose “Tennessee Reconnect.”
- Fill out the application and submit it. Current Reconnect students must submit the application every year to maintain eligibility.
- Your personalized Reconnect Success Plan will be generated. Make sure you review it and print it out or save it to your computer.
ATTENTION: Mobile devices and Macs are not fully supported. To create an account and/or submit an online application, use a laptop or desktop computer with Internet Explorer (Version 6 minimum).
Step 2: Apply to CU.
- Students applying for the Tennessee Reconnect Grant should apply to CU using the “Tennessee Promise/Reconnect” application through the Office of Admissions website.
- If you’re a first-time student you can view all your admissions requirements here.
If you’re returning to school to finish your degree with some college credits you can view your admissions requirements here.
Step 3: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at FAFSA.ed.gov.
- The FAFSA, Free Application for Student Aid, is used to determine if you are eligible for federal, state, school or even private financial aid. By completing the FAFSA, you’re able to apply for federal and state grants, loans and work studies, as well as school and private scholarships. Basically, the FAFSA is your first step for receiving monetary assistance for your entire college career.
- Make certain to have your FAFSA sent to Cumberland University. School code: 003485
We meet you where you are.
CU makes it an easier transition to return to school by providing multiple forms of support.
- Customized tutoring experience, either in a lab or one-on-one virtually.
- Library online chat feature to assist with database and research questions.
- Access to free, virtual counseling resources.
- Timely IT responses to assist with student accounts and other technological needs.
Contact Us. We’re Here to Help.
If you have any questions or need any help through your next steps, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help guide you through this process and discuss your future at Cumberland University.
The Admissions Office is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm CST. Please contact the Admissions Office at 615-547-1246 locally or 800-467-0562 to speak with our Non-Traditional Enrollment Specialist or email email@example.com.
Have questions? We have answers.
Check out our Non-Traditional Student FAQs.