Cumberland University has been continuously chartered by the State of Tennessee since 1842.
- Cumberland University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate and master's degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404.679.4500 for questions about the accreditation of Cumberland University.
- The Tennessee State Department of Education has approved Cumberland University to offer certain programs for specific teacher licenses and for Beginning and Aspiring Instructional Leadership licenses. For a list of approved teacher licensure programs at Cumberland University, please visit the Department of Education website: (www.tn.gov/education/article.education-prep-programs-by-provider) and select Cumberland University. (Department of Education, 710 James Robertson Pkwy., Nashville, TN 37243; 615-741-5158).
- The Educator Preparation programs in the School of Humanities, Education, and the Arts at Cumberland University are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), www.ncate.org. This accreditation covers initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs at the University. However, the accreditation does not include individual education courses that the institution offers to P-12 educators for professional development, relicensure, or other purposes.
- The baccalaureate and master's programs in nursing are approved by the Tennessee Board of Nursing (665 Mainstream Dr, Metro Center, Nashville, TN 37243; 615-532-5166.)
- The baccalaureate program in nursing at Cumberland University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791 (http://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE).
- The Athletic Training (AT) Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). The program has been on Probation as of February 19, 2016 by the CAATE. (6850 Austin Center Blvd., Ste 100, Austin, TX 78737-3184; 844-462-2283).
- The Labry School of Science, Technology, and Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP) in both its baccalaureate and graduate business programs. (11520 West 119th Street, Overland Park, KS 66213; 913-339-9356).
- Cumberland University is authorized to offer professional continuing education for accountants by the Board of Accountancy of the State of Tennessee (500 James Robertson Pkwy. #2, Nashville, TN 37243, 615-741-2550).
Cumberland University has been approved by the state of Tennessee to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.