Email Signature Policy
All Cumberland University Faculty & Staff are required to follow the same email signature. We do this to maintain a consistent cohesive brand identity.
How your email signature should look
Step 1: Download the Cumberland University logo for your signature.
*Note: The athletic logo is an acceptable option for athletic coaches and staff. All other university faculty and staff should use the institution logo.
Step 2: Edit your Gmail signature.
- Download the Cumberland University Logo above to your computer’s hard drive.
- Open your Gmail.
- In the top right corner of the page, click Settings, which is the gear wheel icon.
- Then select “Settings” from the list of options.
- Next, scroll toward the bottom of the page until you find the area title “Signature”.
- Make sure the radio button next to the custom signature area is selected and not the "No signature" one. If the other one is selected, then the signature won't apply to your messages.
- Next, click the “Insert Image” button located in the signature editor menu, to open the Add an image window.
- Select “upload” from the top menu, then click “select a file from your computer”.
- Upload the logo image file you saved to your hard drive. *Please do not upload your headshot, social media icons, scripted signature, GIF, MEME, or any other image to your signature. The University logo and athletics logo are the only approved images for University email signatures.
- Click Select to insert the image into the signature.
- Click on the logo image and select the the sizing option ‘medium’ from the sizing menu.
- Scroll to the very bottom of the settings and click Save Changes to apply the new signature.
- Return to these steps at any time to edit the text or disable the signature altogether.
- Your name and title should be in the Verdana Bold typeface. All other copy in your signature should be in Verdana Regular.
- Font sizes for all copy in your signature should be set to Normal.
- Additional contact numbers are permitted in your signature.
- *Please do not add quotes, mantras, Bible scripture, or other phrasing to your University signature.
For those who may send sensitive information, you may add the following disclaimer below your email signature:
This E-mail (and any associated files) may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying of this E-mail, the files associated with this message, or the information contained in it or attached to it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please delete it immediately and notify the person named above by reply E-mail. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cumberland University. Thank you.
For assistance setting up your email signature contact the Office of Communications and Marketing at 615-547-1220.