Cumberland University

FERPA for Students

FERPA Questions for Students

What are my rights under FERPA?
Under FERPA, you have a right to:
  • inspect and review your educational records
  • request to amend your educational records
  • have some control over the disclosure of information from your educational records
Cumberland University notifies students annually of their FERPA rights in the Student Handbook.

When do FERPA rights begin?
Your FERPA rights begin when you enroll; that is, when you have registered and paid and classes have begun.

Can my parents get information about me?
Without your express, written permission, your parents (like all other third parties) may have access only to your directory information. If you have restricted your directory information, then directory information is considered confidential, and no information about you can be released to your parents or other third parties.

Who can access my educational records?
Your educational records are confidential and may be disclosed:
  • to appropriate University administrators, faculty members or staff members who require access to educational records in order to perform their legitimate educational duties
  • to those whom you have given express, written permission
  • if the release falls under one of the exceptions described in the University catalog
How can I make public, directory information about me confidential?
If you are currently enrolled, you may request that your directory information be made confidential by visiting the Office of the Registrar (Memorial Hall) during the first 12 class days of any semester or the first 4 class days of any summer term and completing a form, Request to Restrict Release or Revoke Restriction of Directory Information. This restriction will remain in effect until you revoke it. Only currently enrolled students may restrict their directory information, but students may revoke the restriction of their information at any time.

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns?
Direct general questions to the Registrar or the Office of Academic Affairs as appropriate. Send comments or suggestions to the Director's office.

How to Contact the Registrar:
Regena Poss
Records, Registration, Research & Retention
Memorial Hall