Computational Science and Technology
Who is this major for?
The Labry School of Science, Technology and Business offers an innovative program in Computational Science and Technology. Computational science studies the methodology of solving complex problems that use concepts and skills from various disciplines including science, computer science, and mathematics.The program is designed for students who desire a computer-intensive learning experience and want to solve complex computer challenges. The program consists of 120 total credits and will be offered in two tracks: Track I - emphasis on Science and Math; and Track II - emphasis on Business and Technology. The program is structured to equip students with a broad base of computation skills necessary to analyze and solve real world problems.
- The CST program will teach students to use computers to solve problems in any particular discipline of their choice.
- Gain a broad understanding of the role of computer science and computational methods
- Understanding of the theoretical basis of computer science
- Proficiency in computational problem solving strategies
- Demonstrate the ability to systematically analyse problems
- Develop, design and analyse algorithms
- Identify solutions to computational problems
- Demonstrate the ability to work in both independent and collaborative ways that accommodate diverse abilities and perspectives
Dr. Max Melnikov
Dr. Max Melnikov earned his doctoral degree in Economics and Applied Mathematics from Middle Tennessee State University in 2004. Prior to his service at Cumberland University, Dr. Melnikov was an instructor and an assistant professor of applied mathematics and risk management at MTSU for five years. He also worked as a research associate at the MTSU Business and Economic Research Center.
Dr. Melnikov has published more than a dozen articles and papers in journals and conference proceedings both nationally and internationally. He has also presented his work at many regional, national, and international conferences. He has hands-on business experience trading currencies for FOREX Consulting, Inc. in New York City and in Moscow. He is fluent in Russian and Ukrainian languages.