Teacher Education Progression Phase I
- MEET THE FIVE CONDITIONS UNDER
- Successfully completed a formal interview with the Teacher Education Committee.
- Candidates will have a minimum 2.75 GPA (Cumberland University and cumulative);
- Candidates will have a dispositions ratings form completed for them, from either their advisor, another faculty member from whom they have taken a course, or a member of the educational community beyond Cumberland (e.g., a cooperating teacher from pre-student teaching field experiences) - ask those individuals to email the School of Education & Public Service Administrative Assistant to get the link;
- Complete ENG 101, ENG 102, ED 201, MATH 111 and SPEE 220 with a grade of "C" or better (course work requirements may vary);
- Admission must be approved by a majority vote of the Teacher Education Committee.
*Candidates who do not complete all of these requirements in the same semester as their TEP I interview will have to reinterview with the Teacher Education Committee.
Successful Progression to TEP II:Students will successfully complete Phase I and be eligible for Phase II if they:
- Complete ED 301 with a grade of "B" or better;
- Successfully complete benchmark courses in the professional education core and in the teaching content area with a grade of "C" or better; and
- Maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA (Cumberland University and cumulative)
- Successfully complete Field Experience assignments in all courses requiring them.
- Have no record demonstrating a pattern of compromised academic integrity on file with the Dean of Students Office.
- Have demonstrated to faculty and school partners dispositions and conduct ensuring success in the teaching profession.
The interview will be conducted in the following manner:
- Professional dress and manner are expected at the interview.
- The interview panel will be composed of at least three Cumberland University Faculty; P-12 administrators or faculty, or other community members may be invited to serve on the panel.
- One of the panelists will serve as the facilitator.
- The facilitator will ask each candidate the same questions. Panelists may ask the candidate for clarification of responses.
- Interviews are scheduled in 1/2-hour blocks.
- Panelists will complete a rating sheet for each candidate.
There are two possible outcomes to the interview:
- Acceptance: the candidate is accepted into the Teacher Education Progression, Phase I.
- Denied acceptance: the candidate is denied progression through the checkpoint unless specific conditions are met in the same semester of the interview; if not, candidates may reapply the following semester. Candidates may only reapply once.