In This Section:
- TEP Handbook and Requirements
- School of Education & Public Service
- Vision, Mission, Purpose & Goals
- Teacher Licensure
- Student Resources
- Professional Development & Continuing Education
- Programs that Lead to Teacher Licensure
- Teacher Training Program Effectiveness Report Card
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Education
- Master of Education in Instructional Leadership
- Education News
School of Education & Public Service
Our P-12 School partners, our students, and our faculty are pleased to be recognized for the high quality of our educator preparation programs.
Our conceptual framework incorporates national standards for the development of new practitioners into our standing goal of preparing competent, caring, qualified professionals and reflective practitioners. (The full text of our Conceptual Framework.)
Individuals currently holding a baccalaureate degree in another academic discipline may seek Tennessee licensure by completing a post-baccalaureate through Cumberland University.
- Child Growth & Learning
Health & Human Performance (School of Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Physical Education & Health Emphasis
- Secondary Education Dual Major (only offered as double major with other specific majors)
- Special Education
- Art Education
- Music Education
NOTE: Cumberland Students interested in the Secondary Education dual major or in becoming an Art or Music teacher must have an advisor in their discipline and an advisor in a Teacher Education Program while at Cumberland to ensure that they take the correct courses to be eligible for a Teacher's License. Candidates interested in any type of Tennessee Teacher's License must take certain General Education Core courses as part of their program.
- Master of Arts in Education (for licensed teachers).
- Master of Arts in Teaching (endorsements available in the K-5 license, certain 6-12 licenses, Special Education, Physical Education, Art Education, Music Education, English Language Learners (ELL), and Reading Specialist.
- Master of Education in Instructional Leadership for aspiring school leaders.