Coordinator of Mt. Juliet Nursing Program, Assistant Professor
Diploma, Baptist Memorial Hospital School of Nursing
BSN, Vanderbilt University
MSN, Texas Woman's University
Post graduate hours at:
University of North Texas
Middle Tennessee State University
Phone: (615) 453-6306
I have taught at Cumberland University since 1992, except two short attempts at retirement. My primary areas of teaching are Community Health Nursing and Gerontology. Currently, I serve in a part-time capacity as Director of the Working Adult at the Mt. Juliet Campus. I enjoy this role because it allows me to teach while also advocating for students.
1992 to 2000
- 1993: Established the Tennessee Chapter of the Student Nurses Association and acted as the sponsor until May 2003. The Chapter was active in state and national conferences and in annual service projects.
- 2000 (May to July): Served as Interim Chair for the Jeanette Rudy Division of Nursing.
- Division of Nursing Curriculum Committee
- Nursing representative to Faculty Senate
- Member of Executive Committee for Faculty Senate
2000 to 2010
- Summers of 2003, 2004, and 2005: Provided a weeklong cultural and clinical experience for two different groups of students at the Cherokee Indian Health Services in Cherokee, NC.
- Fall Semesters: Coordinated with Wilson County School system to provide and monitor nursing students who conducted health screenings (vision, hearing, and blood pressure) for 3,000 to 4,000 elementary students. Approximately 25% were referred for further testing.
- Fall 2012: Awarded a Grant for $15,000 from the Foundation of the National Students’ Nurses Association to create and implement a Geriatric Nursing Externship (GNE). Received a sponsorship award of $1,000 for each GNE student from The Foundation of Geriatric Education. The Geriatric Nursing Exernship program is a post-acute program with students placed in community agencies and facilities. It was the first program of its kind in the state of Tennessee.
- Summer 2013: Implemented the 2-hour credit Geriatric Nursing Externship program with two students.
- Fall Semester 2013: Planned and implemented the seminar “Bridging a Healthcare Gap: Geriatric Nursing Externship” on Nov. 5, 2014. The seminar shared information related to the process of creating, implementing, and evaluating the externship program with other Tennessee BSN programs.
- 2013 (October): Received the 2013 Tennessee Nurses Association Alma E. Gault Leadership Award at the annual Tennessee Nurses Association conference.
- Faculty Senate representative (term ended May 2007)
- School of Nursing Curriculum Committee (term ended 2009)
- CU Professional Development Committee
In addition to my work at Cumberland, I was employed by National HealthCare Corporation for many years as a nurse educator and worked as a Clinical Specialist in Gerontological Nursing and RN in the NHC Extended Care facilities.