Each year, the Cumberland University Alumni Association presents awards to alumni whose achievements and recognition have reflected honor on their alma mater. The intent is to recognize alumni who embody the values and core principals of the University and who have demonstrated extraordinary service to the University, their chosen field of endeavor, humanity, or society.
Members of the Cumberland University community may nominate any alumnus/a with an earned degree from the institution in one of two categories:
Distinguished Alumni Award
- The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor bestowed by the Cumberland University Alumni Association on an outstanding alumna or alumnus. This award salutes the achievements of outstanding alumni whose "personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater."
Rising Phoenix Award (Celebrating Emerging Leaders)
- The Rising Phoenix Award recognizes alumni 35 years of age or younger who display outstanding leadership qualities and have exceptional achievement early in their careers, through public service, and/or volunteer activities.
Recipient Selection Criteria:
- Nominations are considered for three consecutive years beginning with the year of nomination.
- The Rising Phoenix award nominees must be under the age of 35 at the time of nomination.
- Must hold an earned degree from Cumberland University.
- Previous recipients are not eligible for consideration.
- Current members of the Board of Trust, Board of Directors for the Cumberland University Alumni Association or employees of the Cumberland University Office of Advancement are not eligible for consideration.
- Persons currently holding or running for elected state or federal public office in Tennessee are not eligible for consideration.
- It is the nominator's responsibility to confirm the nominee meets the above criteria.
Nomination and Selection Procedures:
- Nomination required. Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted on nomination forms supplied by the Cumberland University Alumni Association.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
- Nomination forms can be submitted at any time. They must be completed in their entirety and received by Friday, February 12, 2016. Any nominations received after this date will be carried to the following year's nominations.
- Prior to final selection, supporting documentation may be required to be submitted upon request from select nominees.
- The Cumberland University Alumni Association awards committee reviews all nominations and presents the final slate for awards candidates to be voted on by the full Board of Directors.
Conferring of Awards:
- The Cumberland University Alumni Association will announce the 2016 Alumni Award recipients at the 174th Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 7, 2016.