Each year, the Cumberland University Alumni Association presents awards to alumni whose achievements and recognition have reflected honor on their alma mater. The intent is to recognize alumni who embody the values and core principles of the University and who have demonstrated extraordinary service to the University, their chosen field of endeavor, humanity, or society.
Members of the Cumberland University community may nominate any alumnus/a with an earned degree from the institution in one of three categories:
Distinguished Alumni Award
- The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor bestowed by the Cumberland University Alumni Association on an outstanding alumna or alumnus. This award salutes the achievements of outstanding alumni whose personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater. The Distinguished Alumni Award is intended to recognize both longevity and consistency of accomplishment over one's professional lifetime and might not be awarded every year.
Rising Phoenix Award
- Celebrating emerging leaders, the Rising Phoenix Award recognizes alumni 35 years of age or younger who display outstanding leadership qualities and have exceptional achievement early in their careers, through public service, and/or volunteer activities.
Awards of Excellence
- Awards of Excellence are presented to Cumberland University graduates who have attained a significant level of achievement in their chosen field. Nominees should demonstrate a postive impact on a local, state, or national/international level and be of high integrity and character. These awards are presented in separate categories which represent the three academic schools of Cumberland:
Award of Excellence in Humanities, Education and the Arts
Award of Excellence in Nursing and Health Professions
Award of Excellence in Science, Technology and Business
Recipient Selection Criteria:
- Nominations are considered for three consecutive years beginning with the year of nomination.
- Rising Phoenix Award nominees must be under the age of 35 at the time of nomination.
- Must hold an earned degree from Cumberland University.
- Award of Excellence nominees should represent the school from which they graduated.
- Previous recipients are not eligible for consideration.
- Current members of the Board of Trust, Board of Directors for the Cumberland University Alumni Association or employees of the Cumberland University Office of Advancement are not eligible for consideration.
- Persons currently holding or running for elected state or federal public office in Tennessee are not eligible for consideration.
- It is the nominator's responsibility to confirm the nominee meets the above criteria.
Nomination and Selection Procedures:
- Nomination required. Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted on nomination forms supplied by the Cumberland University Alumni Association.
- Self-nominations are discouraged.
- Nomination forms can be submitted at any time. They must be completed in their entirety and received by Friday, February 19, 2016. Any nominations received after this date will be carried to the following year's nominations.
- Prior to final selection, supporting documentation may be required to be submitted upon request from select nominees.
- The Cumberland University Alumni Association awards committee reviews all nominations and presents the final slate for awards candidates to be voted on by the full Board of Directors.
Conferring of Awards:
- The Cumberland University Alumni Association will announce the 2016 Alumni Award recipients at the 174th Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 7, 2016.