Each year, the Cumberland University Alumni Association presents awards to alumni whose achievements and recognition have reflected honor on their alma mater. The intent is to recognize alumni who embody the values and core principals of the University and who have demonstrated extraordinary service to the University, their chosen field of endeavor, humanity, or society.
Members of the Cumberland University community may nominate any alumnus/a with an earned degree from the institution in one of three categories:
Outstanding Professional Achievement
- A Cumberland graduate who has distinguished him/herself by reaching the highest level of professional accomplishment.
Service to the Community/Cumberland
- A Cumberland graduate who has a history of outstanding service to the University or to the community in which they live.
Young Alumni Achievement
- A Cumberland graduate 40 years of age and younger who has outstanding achievement in career, public service and/or volunteer activities.
Recipient Selection Criteria:
- Nominations are considered for three consecutive years beginning with the year of nomination.
- Young Alumni Award nominees must be under the age of 40 at the time of nomination.
- Must hold an earned degree from Cumberland University.
- Previous recipients are not eligible for consideration.
- Current members of the Board of Trust, Board of Directors for the CU Alumni Association or employees of the CU Advancement Office are not eligible for consideration.
- Persons currently holding or running for elected state or federal public office in Tennessee are not eligible for consideration.
- It is the nominator's responsibility to confirm the nominee meets the above criteria.
Nomination and Selection Procedures:
- Nomination required. Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted on nomination forms supplied by the CU Alumni Association.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
- Nomination forms can be submitted at any time. They must be completed in their entirety and received by Friday, September 19, 2014. Any nominations received after this date will be carried to the following year's nominations.
- Prior to final selection, supporting documentation will be required to be submitted upon request from select nominees.
- The CU Alumni Association Awards committee reviews all nominations and presents the final slate for awards candidates to be voted on by the full Board of Directors.
Conferring of Awards:
- The President of the CU Alumni Association will announce award recipients at the homecoming football game on Saturday, October 25, 2014.