Cumberland University


What are your transfer acceptance requirements? What if I don’t meet them?

Cumberland University has a minimum 2.0 GPA requirement for applicants who have 30 or more hours of college coursework. If the applicant has less than 30 hours of college coursework, we require the same GPA of 2.0 for their college courses, plus we require a 3.0 high school GPA and at least a 21 composite score on the ACT. If you do not meet these requirements, do not give up! We have an admissions committee who will review your student file, and, based on other criteria, they may be able to work with you.

Do you need my high school transcripts and/or my ACT scores?

You will only need to supply your high school transcripts and ACT scores if you have fewer than 30 hours of college coursework.

I’m at a school that has a transfer agreement with Cumberland. Does that mean I’m automatically accepted?

No. A transfer agreement does not guarantee acceptance to Cumberland. It’s in place to ensure the transfer of most of your class credits to Cumberland. To be accepted as a student, you will still need to supply the appropriate admissions documents and meet the minimum requirements for admission.  

Which course credits will transfer from my current college?

Many of your general education requirements will most likely transfer to Cumberland. However, to get a better picture of exactly which classes that will be, please visit our Student Resources and Policies section of the website for the most up to date transfer agreements.  

Can I begin taking classes at Cumberland while still lacking one class for my associate degree at my community college?

We would recommend you completing your degree requirements at the community college for one main reason: money! We have scholarship money that may be awarded to you, but you must have already received your associate degree to qualify.

How much does it cost to attend Cumberland?

Our tuition and fee schedule can be found here.


Does Cumberland offer any scholarships for transfer students? Am I eligible for them? How do I apply for them?

Cumberland offers several options for transfer student scholarships:

CU Grant – offered to all incoming transfer students who do not hold an associate degree ($6,000.00/year).

Cumberland Promise – offered to incoming transfer students who hold a University parallel associate’s degree have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better ($6,000.00-$13,000 based upon major)

Application for these awards is automatic when you apply to Cumberland and complete the FAFSA. The Cumberland Promise includes the CU Grant. The Cumberland Promise is only applicable to non-nursing majors.

Can I hand-deliver my transcripts from another college?

You can hand-deliver official transcripts to our Admissions Office (Memorial Hall, Room 100) as long as the envelope remains sealed. You can also contact the other college(s) to request official transcripts to be mailed to Cumberland. Our address is 1 Cumberland Square, Lebanon, TN 37087.

If I only took one or two classes at another college and I failed/withdrew from them, does Cumberland still need that transcript?

Yes. We must have all transcripts from every college you have attended, regardless of performance or length of enrollment.
How/when will I know which of my college courses will transfer to Cumberland?

Once we receive your official transcripts and you have been initially accepted to Cumberland, our registrar’s office will do a transcript evaluation. At that point, you will know exactly which courses will transfer. Please be advised that any unofficial evaluations that may be done for you during the admissions process will be overruled by the official evaluation that can ONLY be completed by the registrar’s office.

How will I know if I’ve been accepted to Cumberland?

Once we have received all of your admissions documents, you will be notified via email when you are accepted. If you have questions, give us a call! 615-547-1246.

Is there someone I can speak with about transferring to Cumberland?

Yes, please contact our office at (615) 547-1246 or

How can I check the status of my application once I’ve applied? Can I check the status of my application online?

Yes, please contact our office at (615) 547-1246 or One your application is processed, you will receive a series of emails, including on how to setup your new student portal login, where you will be able to track what documents are missing from your admissions file.