Master of Science in Nursing (Online)
If you are a nurse who has a desire to advance your career and teach other nurses, or if you are a nurse who aspires to management roles or high-level administrative roles you will find that Cumberland University’s M.S.N. program is an excellent choice because of convenience, cost, and quality. There is an increased demand for graduate level nurses in the healthcare industry, making this an excellent time for you to invest in yourself and your career.
Regulations & Requirements
Tuition & Financial Aid
The online Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) program is designed to advance the professional nurse as a Nurse Educator or Nurse Executive Leadership and Administration. Nursing education at the Masters level is intended to reflect the recommendations of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). The programs development is built upon AACN's nine Essentials of Master's Education in Nursing, recognized as the education foundation for the nursing discipline. Congruent with AACN, our Master's program prepares the professional nurse for leadership that is adaptable in a rapid changing, complex healthcare environment and to take critical action needed in health, education, and organizational systems. A primary consideration for the Master's program to be delivered online is to support the demands of students' work, home, and school responsibilities.
- To offer a Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) based in the liberal arts where the learning experience will continue to build upon the undergraduate's Bachelor of Science in Nursing general educational core foundational concepts.
- To prepare a graduate nurse who demonstrates competent clinical skills and leadership qualities through the use of transfer of learning, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- To provide opportunities for individuals with a B.S.N. and RN nursing license to further their educational preparation and scholarly endeavors.
- To graduate professional nurses who are responsive to the changing health care needs of society.
We offer two specialization tracks:
The master's degree in nursing program at Cumberland University is pursuing initial accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791. Applying for accreditation does not guarantee that accreditation will be granted.
The only difference with an online degree program is how you learn, not what you learn. You will earn the same, accredited M.S.N. hospitals want, but study when and where you want.
M.S.N. Program Director
Dr. Ronda Landers
Nurse Executive Leadership and Administration
The graduate specialty in Nurse Executive Leadership and Administration focuses on theories, research, and evidence-based practices of nurse executive leadership and administration. Graduate online learners examine the knowledge and skills nurse executives need to manage health care quality and safety. Emphasis is on management of finance and operations of health care organization, leading health care innovations, and strategies to respond to health care challenges and trends. Throughout the course curricula, learners are directed to assess and strengthen their characteristics in ethics, cultural awareness, and health care leadership. Successful graduates of this specialization are prepared to pursue roles as nurse executives in a variety of health care delivery settings.
Nursing Education specialization
The graduate specialty in Nursing Education provides an in-depth review of learning theories, research, and best practices of nursing education. Graduate Online Learners analyze teaching strategies for diverse populations and environments, and incorporate theory to practice. The program prepares the graduate to develop program design, deliver content, and perform formative and summative evaluations techniques. The Nurse Educator emphasis is designed to prepare nurses for educational roles in academia, health care organizations, and health care systems. See required courses.
The Goals of the emphasis area are to prepare Nursing professionals to:
- Perform leadership abilities related to financial management and concepts of healthcare systems at an executive level.
- Provide quality healthcare based in policy and procedures within legal, ethical, and moral standards.
- Provide and support workforce development, resource management, technology integration, incorporation of increasing governmental standards/regulations, leadership/mentorship, and role definition of future health care changes.
- Possess refined leadership skills that include communication, leadership, and professionalism as applied in the today's health care diverse environment.
The Goals of the Nursing Education emphasis area are to prepare Nursing professionals to:
- Facilitate learning, learner development, and socialization
- Use Assessment and Evaluation Strategies
- Develop and evaluate curriculum design and program outcomes
- Function as a change agent and leader within academic and practice settings
- Pursue continuous quality improvement in the nurse educator role
- Function within the educational environment
Admissions Regulations & Requirements
In addition to admission to Cumberland University, and general Cumberland University Graduate Admission requirements, the Master of Science in Nursing also requires the following: