Master of Sport and Exercise Science (MSES)
Mission Statement: The mission of the Master of Exercise and Science Program is to educate individuals to become master’s prepared, competent professionals in sport management, sport and exercise science, and physical education.
Cumberland University’s MSES has three emphases that will allow graduates to further their knowledge, skills and be beneficial to their career in physical education, sport management, and exercise science. The 36-hour program, composed of a core curriculum of 27 hours + a specialization between 12-18 hours* can be completed in less than two years.
Students have the option of choosing between the following three emphases:
- Physical Education (advanced pedagogy or initial licensure)*
- Sport Management
- Sport and Exercise Science
(*Note: This program is intended to provide students the option of pursing teacher certification regardless of undergraduate area. Students pursuing initial licensure are required to take 6 credit hours of research and 18 credit hours in the physical education specialization.)
Program Requirements - For all programs:
- All specializations have an online component, which requires Internet access and an email address.
- All students must purchase a single person use for the program SPSS.
- All degree-seeking students must complete an Intent to Graduate form at least one full year prior to graduation.
- Completed Admissions Application
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
- Official Academic Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
- A combined GRE score of 290 (new scale) or better with a 3.7 on the writing assessment or MAT score of 380
- An incoming student with a current teaching certificate (license) may submit a copy of the certificate to be used in place of the GRE/MAT
- Anyone seeking an initial teacher's license must complete a traditional student teaching semester requiring residence in or near Lebanon, TN.
- Immunization Records
All of CU's Education Master's programs in Education are Accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, the standard of excellence for Teacher Education Programs. www.ncate.org.